With myeloma [bone marrow cancer] there are no guarantees and it's a case of taking it a day, week, month and year at a time and that is fine - really!
I did not imagine that I would still be here five years later. This day five year's ago I was so sick. I was full of hope that the stem cell transplant would be a success, but I was scared at times, very very scared.
It has been an amazing five years and not just because I have gotten to do some amazing things like:
- Having Brian Kennedy play a private concert in my room
- Getting to take a family holiday to Rome
- Being the Executive Producer of a Christmas song that went to Number 1 on iTunes and to number 8 in the Irish music charts
- Climbing a couple of mountains
- Having the amazing experience that was #twitterxmassingle
- Meeting Ingrid Michaelson the co-writer of Winter Song and getting to hang out with her in her dressing room
- Doing all sorts of national media about my cancer and about Winter Song
All of things have been great, but what I have enjoyed most is just being here with my husband and kids and getting to be part of so many milestones in their lives.
I have had so much support from friends and family and others.
I have had set backs but the last two years have been very good health wise.
So tonight a word of thanks to the man above and a prayer for all those who are battling this disease every day. My hope is that we will find a cure and that someday we will all BE OK.
Ingrid Michaelson BE OK
If you want to read my Then and Now blog you can do so at www.thebigcandb.blogspot.com
9 July 2012