Monday, July 9, 2012

I just want to be OK today

Today is the fifth anniversary of my stem cell transplant. For most people who have cancer, the five year mark is something to be celebrated and a sort of security blanket - if I have made it to five years then I am going to be ok - right?

With myeloma [bone marrow cancer] there are no guarantees and it's a case of taking it a day, week, month and year at a time and that is fine - really!

I did not imagine that I would still be here five years later. This day five year's ago I was so sick. I was full of hope that the stem cell transplant would be a success, but I was scared at times, very very scared.

It has been an amazing five years and not just because I have gotten to do some amazing things like:


  1. Having Brian Kennedy play a private concert in my room
  2. Getting to take a family holiday to Rome
  3. Being the Executive Producer of a Christmas song that went to Number 1 on iTunes and to number 8 in the Irish music charts
  4. Climbing a couple of mountains
  5. Having the amazing experience that was #twitterxmassingle
  6. Meeting Ingrid Michaelson the co-writer of Winter Song and getting to hang out with her in her dressing room
  7. Doing all sorts of national media about my cancer and about Winter Song
All of things have been great, but what I have enjoyed most is just being here with my husband and kids and getting to be part of so many milestones in their lives.

I have had so much support from friends and family and others. 

I have had set backs but the last two years have been very good health wise.

So tonight a word of thanks to the man above and a prayer for all those who are battling this disease every day. My hope is that we will find a cure and that someday we will all BE OK.



Ingrid Michaelson BE OK

If you want to read my Then and Now blog you can do so at www.thebigcandb.blogspot.com

9 July 2012

No comments:

Post a Comment